About the WNY Tech Academy
A program under the WNY Tech Academy, the Early College Program, is for 11th and 12th graders in school districts of the Genesee Valley BOCES. Students study at Genesee Community College (GCC) full-time, completing their high school diploma requirements while taking college courses toward a degree of their choice. Students are supervised and supported by WNY Tech Academy teachers and staff. Courses are offered in a variety of ways; mostly in-person, asynchronous, or hybrid to offer flexibility and choice. Courses are taught by GCC professors and WNY Tech Academy faculty. Students identify a degree pathway and begin taking college courses towards their degree. By the end of 12th grade, students will have achieved significant college credits towards an AAS or AS degree. Staff will support students as they transition to a post-secondary program, employment, or military
It offers various levels of pacing depending on the student and their goals. Degree choices are up to the students, with a variety of pathway options offered by GCC. Students are considered GCC students with access to libraries, athletic events, clubs, etc. Students are immersed in a college high school experience. It's possible to earn up to 48 college credits before graduating from high school, giving students a huge head start toward a degree at NO COST to the student! The three Ts are covered; Textbooks, Technology, and Tuition!
What Type of Student Should Enroll?
- Students who are on track or advanced with high school graduation requirements.
- Motivated, ambitious, goal-oriented, and willing to take on a rigorous course load in high school
- Seeking a unique high school experience
- Seeking a college degree, either for employment or transfer to a two- or four-year college institution
- Would benefit from GCC credits towards an associate or applied associates degree at no cost